Saturday, February 29, 2020

Exotic/Disgusting Foods and Beverages Forum--Another KFC Sandwich That Shouldn't Be, Plus an Anthology Author List

     The other day I learned about a new product from the former Kentucky Fried Chicken fast food franchise, currently known as KFC.  This time it's a sandwich made with two donuts as the "bread," and a fried chicken patty as the meat interior.  Long time readers may recall that I tried the infamous Double Down sandwich from KFC years ago (see my May 8, 2014 post), which was (is?) chicken patties as the "bread," encasing bacon and cheese.  So clearly I had no option but to try this new culinary obscenity.  For another related affront to all that is good and decent in meals, see my post on January 28, 2017, about Taco Bell's Naked Chicken Chalupa.
     The KFC chicken and donut concoction comes as a meal, packaged separately, or as the sandwich.  I, of course, went with the sandwich.  The cashier asked, "First time?" when he took my order.  I had to admit that I was a virgin to this life-changing experience.  My first take on it was off-putting--it was a fried chicken patty topped and bottomed with brown, heavily glazed vanilla donuts.  Evidently because the donuts had been heated, too, the glaze was dripping and oozing liquid sugar.  Even with a plastic wrapper to grip the sandwich the act of consuming it was extremely messy.  Despite utilizing a napkin frequently, I was embarrassed later to see that I had dried glaze on the bottom of my nose and chin.  The taste of the sandwich was weird.  The sweetness of the donuts was very strong, overpowering the savory taste of the fried chicken patty for the most part.  It wasn't terrible--I could finish it without trouble, but it was bizarre.  The two flavors were fighting it out, and the end result was kind of okay, I suppose.  I must say though, that the sandwich didn't sit that well--my stomach felt full and almost queasy from the cloying, sugary sweetness afterwards.  I also felt a pang of guilt about what I'd eaten.  There are certainly more unhealthy things to eat, but obviously this sandwich can't be good for you.  I was glad the restaurant wasn't that full, so fewer people observed my shameful lunch.  All in all, the KFC Chicken and Donut Sandwich wasn't nearly as good as the Double Down, or the Naked Chicken Chalupa from Taco Bell.  I don't plan to have it again.  I guess I would recommend it to people who have a pronounced sweet tooth, and/or those who like trying new and odd foods and drinks.  Or, as a drunken dare, I think this would work nicely.  The price was slightly inflated, probably because of the novelty of it--$6.39 with tax at my local KFC.  (And as I mentioned, it is filling, although in a vaguely unsettling manner.)
     The creator of KFC, Colonel Sanders, was an interesting figure, to say the least.  I refer readers to the Cracked Magazine article by Mac Faber, "The Real Colonel Sanders Was a Relentless, Amazing Maniac," on March 16, 2019.  Among other things, Sanders got into a disagreement with a business rival in the 1920's that became so heated it involved deadly gun play.  Competitor Matt Stewart shot and killed one of Sanders' fellow managers, Robert Gibson.  Sanders then grabbed Gibson's gun and returned fire, wounding Stewart.  The police, understandably, arrested all involved.  Ultimately Sanders and another employee were let go, since they were judged to have acted in self defense.  Stewart was jailed for murder.  And the story gets worse.  Stewart died two years later, at the hands of a deputy sheriff.  Rumors of the time held that this sheriff was paid to murder Stewart by Gibson's family, for revenge.  Anyway, this is all a little more colorful and disturbing than the biographies of most restaurant moguls!


     I also got more information recently about the "Shadowy Natures:  Stories of Psychological Horror" (due out in September of 2020) anthology that will feature one of my stories.  Specifically, who my fellow authors are.  The list of their names, and their story titles, is below:

1)   "Mandibular Fixation," by Lee Rozelle
2)   "Drifter," by C.W. Blackwell
3)   "Taking Out the Garbage," by Thomas Vaughn
4)   "Seven Days of Dog Walking," by Scotty Milder
5)   "In Control," by Joseph Rubas
6)   "Maternal Bond," by KC Grifant
7)   "Ring Rock," by James Edward O'Brien
8)   "Uncle," by Elin Olausson
9)   "In a Mother's Eye," by Andrew Punzo
10) "Accessory," by K.N. Johnson
11) "The Wolf Gang," by Barrie Darke
12) "His Death Brings No Respite," by Thomas Kearnes
13) "My Father's Home," by Jeremy Billingsley
14) "Itch," by Louis Stephenson
15) "Heart Skull Heart," by Bryan Miller
16) "Cuckoo," by Liam Hogan
17) "Lemonade," by Paul Stansfield
18) "Roger," by Hollee Nelson
19) "Walking on Knives," by Matthew R. Davis
20) "Christmas Shopper," by Rudy Kremberg
21) "Like Abigail Winchell," by Christine Delia

     As always, more news about this anthology to come.  Stay tuned!






































2 comments: