Saturday, July 20, 2024

Exotic/Disgusting Foods and Beverages Forum--A French Soft Cheese, Plus a Writing Announcement

      Recently, the release date for the "Scream and Cream" horror anthology was changed, from July 23rd to September 23rd, 2024.  So that's why this post won't be an interview with one of my co-authors as previously stated.  Therefore, this interview, and a couple of others, will be rescheduled for September, and probably into October.  I'll announce further information about "Scream and Cream" as I receive it.  Stay tuned!


     I realize I've already covered some soft French cheeses on this blog, but screw it, I want to discuss another one.  Since cheese is my very favorite food, I think I've actually shone some restraint on not talking about it more.  Anyway, today's cheese is Belletoile, manufactured by Henri Hutin, out of Dieue-Sur-Meuse, France.

     Our story begins in the early 1900's.  A man named Henri Hutin and his family began making cheeses on their farm in the North of Meuse.  This is an area in the Northeast part of France, named for the River Meuse, which passes through the region.  After World War I concluded, Henri decided to turn a hobby into a business, and started his fromagerie (i.e., cheese factory) in Lacroix-Sur-Meuse in 1922 named after himself.  Henri was billed as a "Master Cheese Maker," and this does not appear to be idle boasting.  The business prospered.  In 1960, Hutin introduced their signature brand, Belletoile, which quickly became a hit.  In 1975 the Hutin company was purchased by Ellsa, and then in 1978 Hochland Group (a German cheese making company), bought it.  Alternate products available from Henri Hutin include a pepper brie, a garlic & herb Valfrais, a brie Couronne, and Tours de Paris.  Getting back to Hochland, some of its other brands include Almette, Grunlander, Simply, Patros, Valbon, Valbrie, and Cathedral City.

     Belletoile is similar to traditional brie, but has one major difference.  Extra cream is added before the production process starts.  This gives the result a creamier and more mellow taste and mouthfeel, which its consumers really enjoy.  It also means that the cheese can last longer, and its flavor becomes even creamier and more aromatic as it ages.  The label reads "triple cream," so maybe ordinary bries and camemberts use double cream?  Belletoile's ingredients are basic--pasteurized cow's milk, cream, salt, cultures, ripening molds, and animal rennet.  The cows used are free of hormones, and the milk is non-GMO.  Evidently because of all the added cream, Belletoile is very high in fat content, as reportedly it's 70%.


Belletoile triple cream gourmet cheese:  It looked like typical brie, with a white rind and dull yellowish-white color.  I had some plain, and some on a roll.  And the taste was....bad.  My search is over, I've found a disappointing cheese.  I've---JUST KIDDING!  Just having a bit of fun.  The taste was REALLY excellent--mild, creamy, delicious.  Both plain, and on bread.  The texture was very soft, and spreadable even.  I couldn't see if it got even better with age since I couldn't resist finishing it in a very short amount of time.  As usual, then, this cheese is awesome, and I highly recommend it.  Although given its high fat content, maybe it should be reserved as an occasional treat, I suppose. 





















No comments:

Post a Comment