Saturday, September 21, 2024

Interview With Author Paul Lonardo

      As I've been mentioning for the past month or two, the "Scream and Cream" anthology of which I'm a participant in, is due out soon.  In three days, actually.  Normally I post on Saturdays only, but I'll be making an exception next Tuesday, September 24th for the book's release day.  Stop by then for much more information about "Scream and Cream," such as an author list, ordering info, etc.  To whet your appetite, today I'll be interviewing one of my co-authors, Paul Lonardo.  He shares a birthplace with horror legend H.P. Lovecraft, and.....I'll let him take over from here.  A blurb about his story in "Scream and Cream" is included at the end of this interview.  Enjoy! 

 


                                                                           




I am a freelance writer and author with numerous titles, both nonfiction and fiction books, across multiple genres. I have placed short fiction and nonfiction articles in various magazines and ezines. I am a contributing writer for Tales from the Moonlit Path, The Smithfield Times, and ShopinRI magazine. I am an active HWA member.

Instagram: PaulLonardo13

Twitter: @PaulLonardo

Author Website: https://www.thegoblinpitcher.com/

LinkedIn:  https://www.linkedin.com/in/paul-lonardo-b88b4b12/

Alignable: https://www.alignable.com/lincoln-ri/paul-lonardo-palonardo-aol-com-author-ghostwriter

BookBub: https://www.bookbub.com/profile/paul-lonardo

Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/734960.Paul_Lonardo

Barnes & Noble: https://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/paul%20lonardo/_/N-8q8

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Paul-Lonardo/e/B000APQ0Z4/ref=dp_byline_cont_pop_ebooks_1

 

 



1.               Do you plan your entire story or novel all out in advance, with a complete outline, etc., or do you just start writing, and see where it takes you, making it up as you go along?

 

I usually let the story take me where it wants to go. For longer projects, a novella or novel, I’ll plot out some points that I want to reach so I don’t meander too much, but I find that when I get a kernel of an idea for a story, it is usually going to pop for me if I put the time in to write it to completion.

 

 

2.               How do you come up with your story titles?

 

A lot of the time I come up with a title first, even if I don’t have an idea for the story itself. I have lists of potential titles for stories. Although, it is difficult to be original no matter how obscure the title sounds. It’s always disappointing to search and find that the title has been used already, often by multiple authors in different genres.




3.               What writers have influenced you the most?

 

Since I continue to read whenever I can, I continue to be influenced by writers and books. These days, it’s more lesser-known or unknown writers whose books I will pick up. But as far as those writers who have influenced me to become a writer, I have to credit Edgar Allan Poe, H.P. Lovecraft, Stephen King, Clive Barker, Robert R. McCammon, Dean Koontz, to name a few.




4.               What is your current work in progress?

I am writing a lot of short fiction at this time, checking the submission calls of various genre magazines and ezines. They are very inspirational in getting the creative juices flowing. With a theme and a deadline, it becomes a challenge and it’s a great test to see how you are improving as a writer.




5.               Do you prefer writing short stories, novellas, or novels?

 

Short stories have always been a favorite of mine. Maybe that’s because I grew up reading comic books (some superhero comics, but mostly the horror comics). The tales were short and exciting, with new ones every month that I couldn’t wait to read.

 




6.               What is your favorite beer/alcoholic drink/wine?

 

Wine is my go-to adult beverage of choice, but since I discovered the espresso martini, my wine rack has been gathering dust and aging, which is okay.




7.            What are three things you wish you hadn’t done in your writing career?

 

There is one major thing I wish I hadn’t done, and that is starting later in life. If I had less self-doubt and been more serious about my writing when I was younger, I could have enjoyed the entire experience longer, including all the ups and downs that come with the profession.




8.            What do you do to break a case of writer’s block?

Being the quintessential Taurus, I try to push through it, that whole DON’T GET IT RIGHT, GET IT WRITTEN attitude. What writer’s block may be is simple lack of inspiration, but that can come at any time. You have to be open to it. If you give up, you’ll never know what you might have had. How often do you hear writers, as well as other artists, express surprise by how well a book (or song, or anything else they created) was received by other people.

 





9.            Do you have any guilty pleasure reads, and if so, what are they?

Sadly, I’m one of those people who keep the supermarket tabloids in business. I blame my mother, God rest her soul. She always made me buy those gossip rags for her, and every once in a while I find myself reaching for one while waiting in line.




10.            What is the first book you remember reading?

 

I can’t say for certain if it was the very first, but it had to be close, and it was one I took out of the school library numerous times. And that would be Maurice Sendak’s classic, Where the Wild Things Are. Love it to this day. I own a copy now, got if for my son when he was young. I actually got it for me, but that’s just between us.



                                                                  







11.            Have you had any negative fan experiences, such as cyber stalking or the like?

 

Does my wife count? Just kidding. She’s my best fan. Come to think of it, she’s my only fan.




12.            What’s your stance on reviews of your work?  Do you ignore them, read every one, obsess over them?

 

I prefer not to look at personal reviews, good, bad or indifferent, unless they come from another writer/editor/publisher with constructive criticism. Once a book is out, there’s nothing that can be done. Some will like it, some will not like, others may be in the middle somewhere, and that’s fine. That’s part of it. You have to take the good with the bad, but I won’t obsess over it.





13.            About allegory and symbolism—do you often intentionally insert these things into your stories?  Have you ever looked back on one after you’re finished and realized you put in some of these without consciously realizing it?

As a young writer, I would intentionally use symbolism whenever I could, but I eventually realized that this heavy-handed manner of storytelling can sometimes detract more than benefit a narrative. Symbolism is best when subtle, and it is most effective when done on a subconscious level. As a more experienced writer, it becomes something that you’re not even aware you’re doing. When you go back after and notice it, that’s when you know you’re onto something.




14.            How do you handle rejection from magazines and publishers?  Do you have any particularly funny or unprofessional rejections to share?

 

Rejection is part of the process, and I’m at the point where I expect a large percentage of submissions to be rejected. It’s a numbers game, so when a story does get accepted, I’m ecstatic about it because it’s like winning the lottery. Not getting any response is the worst because many publishers still ask that you not to simultaneously submit your story elsewhere. I say submit it everywhere at once. If you want to increase your chance of winning the lottery, you have to buy more than one ticket.



15.            What is the most disturbing movie(s) you’ve ever seen, and why?

No matter how many times I see it, The Exorcist continues to scare the crap out of me. A half a century since its release, it’s as disturbing as ever. It has aged remarkably well, though it’s clear that movies have a much faster pace today. Still, you get pulled into the film by the story and its characters, and don’t realize that the possession sequences do not occur until the very end of the movie.




16.            Do you usually do a lot of research before you start a project?

 

I do plenty of research, but I would say that most of the research happens during the writing process, not before I begin the project, though I do some there, as well.





17.            What are your feelings about your earliest stories?  Do you feel they still hold up, or are you a bit embarrassed by them?

I don’t know if ‘embarrassed’ would be the right word to describe my feelings about my earliest works, but they certainly need a rewrite. Which is why I don’t like to read my older stories, unless my intent is to rewrite and release an updated version. If my writing style and knowledge of myself, life, and the human condition hasn’t changed since I wrote my first piece, I’d be in a lot of trouble as writer.


18.            What pieces of advice would you give to aspiring writers?

 

Well, I am often asked what advice I have for someone who wants to pursue a career in writing. My response is always the same. It may sound cliched, but the simplest things are sometimes the solutions to biggest dilemmas. If writing is something you really enjoy, don’t let anything stop you, no matter how little time you have to devote to it. Always write for you first, write what interests you, and the readers who find you will be lucky they did.





19.            What’s your writing history?  Did you start as an adolescent, or was it later?  And then how long did it take before you starting submitting your work?

 

I’ve been writing in various forms most of my life, though my initial interest was in cinema and filmmaking. I was in high school when I borrowed a friend’s Super-8 movie camera, which touched off a personal, creative spark. I began making my own blend of action and horror movies. I wrote the scripts and was behind the camera shooting scenes around the neighborhood with my friends playing the parts.

 

We had lots of laughs making those movies. I took it more seriously because they were all projects I had envisioned, and I wanted to see them through to completion. It was really a creative outlet that I was experimenting with, and the experience got me thinking seriously about screenwriting. In those early years, I went to movies all the time, so I learned everything I could about how screenplays were written and tried my hand at them, writing several original stories for the screen. They were certainly awful, but they were mine.

 

Growing up in the 80s, I was a fan of dark fantasy and horror, in books as well as film, so when I turned to other forms of writing this was the genre I focused on.

 

Stephen King and other contemporary horror writers influenced me in those years when I started writing my own short fiction, developing ‘my voice,’ as they say about a writer’s early efforts.

 

I’ve written more than twenty books to date, including novels, novellas, short story collections, as well as a host of nonfiction titles, and recently a book of haiku poems, naturally in the horror genre, where they are called horrorku. I continue to work with other people on collaborative nonfiction projects, and I also ghostwrite and edit books for aspiring authors.

 

As evidenced from my list of books, there are numerous other genres represented in my fiction besides horror, including romance and a children’s adventure novel. My nonfiction ranges from true crime, to sports, to biographies, and assisting others with their autobiographies. I really enjoy the challenge of writing in a genre that is new to me. It keeps me feeling fresh and eager to learn different styles of writing and approaches to a topic or subject matter. This also ensures that I continue reading, because you have to read in the genre you are writing.

 





20.            What’s your post-writing process?  Do you edit extensively?  Do you use beta readers or writing groups?

Editing doesn’t really stop for me. Today, with self-published works, even when the book is released, there is the capability of rewriting and uploaded the new version. It’s dangerous only because touching up a story can literally go on forever. At some point, however, you just have to let the story go and stand on its own, in the same manner you have to do when your child reaches a certain age. There’s always a new story to create. And that’s what’s so great about writing.



                                                                       





21.            How much of your work is based on your personal experiences, such as work, relationships, and so on?

 

Experience, not much. My work is based largely on curiosity. Something sparks my imagination and makes me want to explore a topic, subject or emotion. Life experience is another matter altogether. The mature writer you become understands so much more about…well, everything, than the novice writer you once were. There is no shortcut to this life knowledge, but it seeps into your writing every step of the way.





22.            Do you have any writing rituals, such as doing it at a regular time every day, or writing in public places, or while listening to music?

For me, a comfortable place to write is important, and I actually have two places I can work. Which location I use depends on the time of the year. Besides the quiet and still of the night that I prefer, I also require cooler air temperatures. In the summer, I have a basement office area that is always cooler than the rest of the house. In the winter, the upstairs living room is where I’ll be working, with a window air conditioning unit at the ready if the heat ticks up to high.

 

 

23.             You’ve been a writer, editor, and publisher.  Which of these is your favorite?  And has serving as the latter two changed you as a writer?

 

Writing is first and foremost my favorite. Editing is my least favorite because it is less creative and more tedious, but it probably the most import part of the process and essential to creating a really good book. So, if you should ever find a really good editor, hang on to them for dear life. Publishing can be fun, but time-consuming. I should do more promoting of my own work, but I always end up jumping right into a new project.


     And here is a short blurb for Paul's contribution to "Scream and Cream," titled "Rebirth."


Rebirth plays off the frightening legend of the Hindu Goddess Chhinnamasta, who is represented by a headless woman. Her image symbolically represents sexual restraint. When a young man seeks out a woman that he does not know to enlighten him on the pleasures of tantric sex, he gets a whole lot more than he bargained for. This erotic/horror tale could be described as fifty shades of red


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment